Adverse Events Support from Federated Farmers

Earthquakes, heavy snow, floods, storms and volcanic eruptions all have one thing in common - they can ruin everything. Over the years the Federation has played an increasingly important role in working with district councils and Government to coordinate help and resources.

Support Federated Farmers Adverse Events Trust

Federated Farmers Adverse Events Trust is a registered charity (no. CC46245).  To help our charitable work, please contact us on 0800 327 646

Need or Can offer Assistance?

Late in January, the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) and other agri-stakeholders joined forces to support our 0800 FARMING (327 646) earthquake assistance line. Farmers can call the line if they are in need of assistance, we can particularly help with relief milking, fencing, and any farm based work that you need help to carry on carrying on. We also welcome new volunteers to call and join the list to be matched with those needing help. We have financial assistance to cover accommodation, fuel, and meals for volunteers and can offer casual employment for skilled workers particularly in fencing and farm work. We will also provide health and safety support for the affected farmer and the volunteer to make sure everyone is safe on the job. 

Essential information for affected North Canterbury farmers:

  • Federated Farmers is the primary point of contact for farmers who want to request or offer assistance – ring 0800 FARMING (0800 327646) or email 
  • Inland Road - Road access will be restored to Kaikoura. The Inland Route 70 is now open and State Highway 1 to the south of the seaside town is expected to re-open at 2pm 21st December. For more info visit NZTA's website here.
  • Fonterra is checking on farm access for milk tankers, and the Regional Council wants any dumped milk to go on land, not into water.
  • The Regional Council has given approval for stock to go into waterways for drinking if stockwater reticulation is damaged.
  • There are land slips blocking the upper Clarence and Conway Rivers, farmers in those areas please adhere to instructions from Civil Defence and the NZ Police.
  • Stopbanks and other flood protection infrastructure may be damaged; and farmers need to be vigilant especially with heavy rainfall forecasted.
  • Community and stockwater schemes will be progressively restored as power becomes available – then report breakages and leaks to the District Council.
  • As a precaution boil all drinking water.

General information for all farmers:

  • We want to hear from farmers who need assistance.
  • Any farmers who need assistance can either reply to this email - call one of our provincial team or call 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646).
  • Contact your local power lines company to report any downed wires, which must be treated as live until they have been assessed otherwise.
  • Rural Support Trusts are there to help – contact your local Rural Support Trusts for any concerns over the wellbeing of family members or neighbours etc. Click here to go to their website or call 0800 787 254.
  • For the latest earthquake and tsunami updates listen to your radio or keep up to date at here.  Beware of the possibility of flash flooding as tributaries may be blocked and suddenly let go.

Useful information for members

Local infrastructure
Contact your local district council, the AA website or the NZTA and the AA websites for notifications around roading infrastructure issues

For many farmers the loss of electricity will be of concern.  Given many farmers made provision for generators, it is not known how much demand there will be.  If you have the ability to offer a loan generator contact Federated Farmers on 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646) or email

Mobile networks can be overloaded. The advice is to use text messages instead of calling where possible. Call 111 in the case of an emergency.

Milk pick ups
If you are a dairy farmer with damage to your milking infrastructure, please contact your relevant company and immediate neighbours.  Contact your milk processing companies for any disruptions to pick ups.

Irrigation NZ
Contact Irrigation NZ for any advice around irrigation infrastructure damage on  03 341 2225 or visit their website.

Check farm bridges and infrastructure
Experience from the 2010/11 Canterbury earthquakes revealed water lines and silos were susceptible to damage.  We would add any on-farm bridges too.

If a visual inspection reveals damage to bridges/culverts then please contact your rural insurer and/or specialist for assistance.  Here are three useful information sheets:
  • Information on damaged silos - contact 0800 327 646 for a Fact Sheet
  • Water and irrigation following an earthquake - contact 0800 327 646 for a Fact Sheet
  • Information for home and family.

If you do not know your neighbours well, then the earthquake provides an opportunity to have them over for a cup of tea.

DairyNZ adverse events and animal welfare information, visit here:

Contact your rural insurer
Rural insurers, like FMG, will work with clients.  If there is damage to insured farm infrastructure then it is best to contact them direct and in the case of FMG, this is at or by way of 0800 366 466.

Earthquake Commission (EQC) claims
It is most likely that your farm property(s) could have sustained damage and if they carry home and contents insurance, which include fire insurance, then you are covered by EQC.  The Earthquake Commission will pay the first $100,000 towards building costs and $20,000 towards contents for all domestic insured losses.

For information on making a claim, please click here or call EQC on 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243).  Its Call Centre is open 7am - 9pm Monday – Friday and 8am - 6pm on Saturday.

You have three-months to lodge a claim from this event.

Please phone 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646) if you require any assistance, our team is here to help.

For Federated Farmers media contact:
Katie Milne
Federated Farmers Adverse Events spokesperson
M: 0274 244 546
P:  03 738 0189