Canterbury updates -'DO NOT TRAVEL IN THE REGION OVERNIGHT'
30 May 2021
It has been a challenging day for everyone affected by the heavy rain and subsequent flooding.
The word from our partner organisations tonight is:
'DO NOT TRAVEL IN THE REGION OVERNIGHT'
unless absolutely necessary as weather conditions could continue to worsen and water levels will remain high.
There have been multiple road closures throughout Canterbury today and there still could be more overnight, so please do not risk a car trip.
Safety first. You, your family, and your neighbor's well-being is paramount.
Flash floods can happen quickly. If you see rising water do not wait for official warnings. Head for higher ground and stay away from floodwater.
Drive only if absolutely necessary and avoid flooded roads and washed-out bridges.
If water enters your home, turn off the electricity to avoid short-circuits sparking a fire.
Continue to monitor and safely move livestock to paddocks that allow them to move away from floodwaters.
If life, health, or property is in danger, call 111.
During flood events, ECAN's flood control team uses a text alert system to update local residents, landowners, and contractors about river flows.
To sign up for these free updates, text the river name as it’s listed below to 3730.
You should receive an automatic reply confirming you have been added to the list within 5 minutes.
If you would like to receive flood updates for:
- Ashburton River, including North and South Branches and tributaries -Text ASHBURTON to 3730
- Hinds River - Text HINDS to 3730
- Pareora River - Text PAREORA to 3730
- Rakaia River, downstream of the gorge - Text RAKAIA to 3730
- Rangitata River, downstream of the gorge - Text RANGITATA to 3730
- Selwyn River, including Hororata, Hawkins, and tributaries - Text SELWYN to 3730
- Waihao River - Text WAIHAO to 3730
- Waimakariri River, secondary floodplain between the primary and secondary stopbanks - Text WAIMAKARIRI to 3730
- Waitaki River, downstream of the Waitaki Dam - Text WAITAKI 3730
(live river flow information)
Please click here
to check in on The Weather Impacts Page, this will help NEMA and CDEM with on-the-ground information.
Thanks to Eagle technologies for getting this up and moving so quickly.
This is an unofficial site where users can upload photos and see the impact across their area.
Please reach out to the below contacts if you need more information or support:
027 319 7367
0274 955 202
027 359 8504