Feed plan needed for unforeseen events
29 July 2021
To: Canterbury members
Winter is not over yet and farmers need to bear in mind potential for snow or another extreme rainfall event in August or September. It’s a case of the old adage - hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
Feed supplies on farm were already stretched entering winter following a dry summer and autumn and recent rainfall events have lowered stocks.
Have a plan to deal with the situation if it arises – make early decisions
- consider how much feed you would need and do a feed budget (click here for details of help available) https://www.mpi.govt.nz/funding-rural-support/adverse-events/dealing-with-drought-conditions/#plan
- be proactive and contact your feed supplier/contractor to see what’s available – just in case you need it. There is still feed out there.
- consider what stock could be the first to go
- share the plan with your team – we all know how important it is that everyone is on the same page
- have some animal health products on hand
- check your generator,
- have enough fuel on hand
- For those that are new to an area or haven’t experienced a snow event - seek advice from neighbours who have been there, done that!
- Tap into the resources available from industry groups and MPI (links below). Snow Guidelines put out by Beef+Lamb New Zealand and DairyNZ provide useful management and feeding tips to help develop a plan.
Free feed planning support
Call the free winter feed planning service to talk through your options:
- 0800 BEEFLAMB (0800 23 33 52)
- 0800 4 DairyNZ (0800 43 24 79 69)
Feed coordination service
Feed coordinators have been appointed to help connect up farmers with available feed sources. This should be seen as a last resort. First and foremost, we recommend you talk to your usual feed suppliers and local contacts. If you still need the co-ordination service, call 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646). If you need feed click here or grazing click here and a Feed Coordinator will be in touch to match you with someone.
President, Federated Farmers North Canterbury
President, Federated Farmers Mid Canterbury
President, Federated Farmers South Canterbury