Rural Communities

Despite the importance of agriculture and other primary industries to the economy, 86 percent of the population lives in cities and towns of over 1,000 people.  The remaining 14 percent live in rural communities.  Farmers and their families make up only 2-3 percent of the total population.  New Zealand is one of the most urbanised countries in the OECD.

With New Zealand being such an urbanised country yet heavily reliant on primary industries it is important that policy makers and decision makers understand the importance of our rural communities and the issues important to them.


What's been happening

Better Urban Planning Issues Paper December 2015

Posted on 9/03/2016
This Issues Paper does not define what an urban area is in a planning context.

Fire Transition Submission

Posted on 18/08/2016

Submission on Arms Legislation Bill

Posted on 24/10/2019
Federated Farmers of New Zealand's Submission on the Arms Legislation Bill